Dossing around the internet the other day, I came across this. It should be required viewing for anyone who has a drawer full of lotions and potions that they routinely slather on themselves in the hope of becoming gorgeous. Read: all women.
- Babies are being born pre-polluted thanks to the beauty products we use.
- We’re damaging the planet, communities and ourselves because of the cosmetics we use.
- The chemicals in our 'beauty' products are known carcinogens (cancer-causers), as well as being linked to learning disabilities, athsma and reproductive problems.
- The average US woman uses 12 products daily, with about 12 dangerous ingredients each. Men use 6.
- Herbal Essences contains toxic petro chemicals derived from oil. (I always thought it smelt dodge.)
- In the US, anyone can put anything in a bottle and sell it and only 20% of chemicals have been tested. In the US just 8 out of 12,000 chemicals have been banned, since 1928. They don’t even list all the products on the bottle. (I've found it very difficult to find information on where the EU stands on this. But the net point remains the same: consumers need to be very conscious of what they are putting on their bodies.)
- Ester Lauder donates a portion of their profits to fighting cancer. However, they are selling products with chemicals that cause cancer.
- It's thought that small amounts of these chemicals don’t cause too much damage. Yet, we use them liberally everyday. We use a dangerous cocktail of products, not just one. Also, people who work in the beauty industry get dosed with them daily.
See Benno's take on it here.