Members can sign in here.

About the Author

Hussam Hussein
Reseracher ()

Hi and thanks for visiting my profile :) My name is Hussam, I'm a blogger-researcher-journalist, member of the European Youth Press’ Middle East and North Africa Committee (MENAC). I studied in Italy (Trieste/Gorizia), England (SOAS, London), and Poland (College of Europe). Academically, my background is mainly in Diplomacy and International Relations, with a focus on Environment. My interests are climate change, water, development and international cooperation.

Post

Middle East and Transboundary Youth Projects

Published 22nd July 2010 - 8 comments - 1597 views -

 Yousef is 17 year-old and lives in the Lower Jordan River Valley. Yousef doesn’t have water at home every day, but only for three hours, once a week. Even if the Jordan River flows less than 200 meters from his home, Yousef has never seen the river since it is a military zone. Therefore, he perfectly knows that he doesn’t have water at home and he is aware of the presence of a river nearby, but he doesn’t understand why he can’t have water every day.

The Lower Jordan River, border between Jordan and Israel, has lost 98% of its volume in the last 50 years because of the diversion of its water resources. The remaining 2% is highly polluted and because of climate change the river is likely to disappear within this century.

For the water resources of the Jordan River, many tensions raised in the last decades between Jordanians, Palestinians, Israelis, Lebanese, and Syrians and some of the wars in the area had the water issue as one of the main causes. However, local NGOs are supporting transborder cooperation between the local communities of the Lower Jordan River Valley, building trust and a dialogue among them, as first step towards a regional peace.

The most interesting initiatives in that way are the Youth Programs that aim at letting young Palestinians, Israelis, and Jordanians to meet, to know each other, to talk about their problems linked to the degradation of the environment, and to share the best practices adopted in their villages.

Yousef has participated in this program, and he has understood that the water scarcity is a common problem of the communities living on both sides of the river and that young people have to act now to save the river and the water resources of the valley.

Yousef, as well as the other students involved in this program and coming from other Jordanian, Israeli, and Palestinian villages, is trying to change his style-life and the mentality of people living around him. Yousef and the other students have introduced in their schools water saving systems (toilets, irrigation of the gardens) and the culture of recycling. In other words, they are adopting environmentally friendly style-life in order to help their river, their valley, and their future.



Category: Education | Tags:


Comments

  • Iwona Frydryszak on 22nd July 2010:

    Do you have some link about the project or exchange. I hope that those young people can change something with the issue. Those kind of small projects are really important, however there should be more financial support for motivated people after such kind of the exchange… The meeting and talks are not enough.


  • Helena Goldon on 23rd July 2010:

    I love project that are beyond borders, conflicts, or religions. Especially when they target finding common solutions to common problems which helps in uniting the participants.


  • Helena Goldon on 23rd July 2010:

    just like this project right here (Ban Ki-moon playing basketball!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzGfUdQ_iYY&feature=sub&videos=A0bi-kHxUxE


  • Hussam Hussein on 24th July 2010:

    Thanks for the link Helena… I’m also into thhese kind of projects smile Glad that you liked it!


  • Hussam Hussein on 27th July 2010:

    Helena, in your honour I changed the title of this post smile
    I hope you’ll like the new version smile


  • Helena Goldon on 27th July 2010:

    Thanks Hussam, i feel very honoured wink and even more shy then I can be!


  • Helena Goldon on 27th July 2010:

    than wink


  • Hussam Hussein on 27th July 2010:

    you’re welcome! Suggestions are always welcome!


Post your comment

  • Remember my personal information

    Notify me of follow-up comments?

    --- Let's see if you are human ---

    A human creature that practices the art of "blogging" is called a... Add a questionmark to your answer. (8 character(s) required)